Built around 1875 by the Santa Cruz & Felton Railroad to cross a small ravine, the Shady Gulch Trestle was located just north of the California Powder Works' primary facilities and just south of the Paper Mill at Rincon. It was originally built crossing Eben Bennett's toll road, visible in the photograph below. When the road was made public in the 1880s, the route continued to pass under the trestle.
|Shady Gulch Trestle, South Pacific Coast Railroad, 1884 (Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley)|
|Google Streetview capture of roughly the same place today as the photograph up top.|