|The water tower at Tank Siding with the ground nearby showing cracking alongside the tracks from storm damage at right, March 1, 1940. (Bruce MacGregor)|
|The curve at Tank Siding showing the sink from storm damage at right, 1940. (Bruce MacGregor)|
Probable site of Tank Siding along the route near the end of the Santa Cruz Water Dept. property. (Brian Liddicoat)
Official Railroad Information:
Tank Siding was located 66.6 miles from San Francisco via the Mayfield Cut-Off and 12.6 miles from Santa Cruz. A 230-foot-long spur was at the site, for use by the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company, as well as a siding and the titular water tower.
Agency books recorded that the station was a B-class freight-loading station.
|A bend further west from Tank Siding showing a sink from storm damage at right, March 1, 1940. (Bruce MacGregor)|
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:37˚N 6' 9.5", 122˚W, 0' 46.1"
Access to the site is via a water district, switchbacked fire road accessible from East Zayante Road before crossing over Mountain Charlie Gulch. The site of Tank Siding is owned by the Santa Cruz Water Department, but the area is generally not patrolled and the right-of-way unmaintained.
|A straightaway west of Tank Siding showing a fill with a sink from storm damage, March 1, 1940. (Bruce MacGregor)|
Citations & Credits:
- Clark, Donald Thomas. Santa Cruz County Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary. Scotts Valley, CA: Kestrel Press, 2008.
- Whaley, Derek. Santa Cruz Trains: Railroads of the Santa Cruz Mountains: 123-124.