Olympia was a small rural passenger and freight station located above Zayante Creek near Quail Hollow Ranch. It was located only 0.4 miles south of Eccles, another rural station, and was the most northern station along the Santa Cruz Branch following the abandonment of the mountain section in 1941. The name derived from the nearby Camp Olympia YMCA retreat. In April 1915, Olympia, or rather an adjacent resort, gained control over the local post office from Eccles, thereby signalling the rise of importance of the station.
|The grade crossing beside Olympia's station site on Olympia Station Road, 2011. (Derek Whaley)|
|The mainline (right) and siding at Olympia. A spur sits buried beneath the leaves at far left. (Derek Whaley)|
|The aggregate loader near Olympia Station Road. A spur sits directly in front of it, buried beneath brush. (Derek Whaley)|
|A flat car with another flat car upside-down atop it on the former Kaiser Pavement Company spur. (Derek Whaley)|
|Another flat car parked in front of the first on the former Kaiser spur. (Derek Whaley)|
Official Railroad Information:
Olympia was located 70.4 miles from San Francisco via the Mayfield Cut-Off and 8.8 miles from Santa Cruz. It hosted a long siding and 61-car-lengths (approximately 2,440-foot-long) of spur trackage. One spur headed slightly to the north on the east side of the tracks, while another ran to the south. The longest spur length probably corresponds to the Kaiser Pavement Company spur, which was 0.2 miles to the south, branching off of the siding. Olympia had no permanent freight or passenger agency at the stop, but it did host a platform and function as a class-A freight station. Olympia was formally active as a passenger and freight stop from 1905 until 1942, and its sidings and spurs remained in use until 1982 when Kaiser switched to using trucks exclusively.
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
37˚N 4’ 25.6”, 122˚W 3’ 13.1”
The site of Olympia station is located at the grade crossing on Olympia State Road. The station shelter was located on the northwest corner of the crossing, while a small resort on the northeast corner acted as a more formalized station structure and hosted the post office. The shelter is gone now, but the siding and a single spur still remain behind, all the property of Roaring Camp Railroads. The resort on the east side is now a private residence. The track in this area is no longer maintained and while trespassing is discouraged by Roaring Camp, there is no enforcement and locals are seen walking the right-of-way regularly.
Citations & Credits: