Hayes Spur is one of the most unknown of the stops along the mountain section of the Southern Pacific Railroad. It first appeared in 1891 in agency books as a stop south of the Union Mill spur. It was named after Isaac Newton Hayes, the owner of the Central Hotel in Felton. Hayes with Thomas Hubbard had worked as independent contractors for the Santa Clara Valley Mill & Lumber Company in the 1890s, harvesting lumber from their properties along Zayante Creek for shipment to Santa Clara. Thus, Hayes Spur was probably erected specifically to ship out this harvested timber. The spur was located midway between the modern-day CEMEX quarry and the Zayante Fire Station.
Isaac Hayes died in 1900 but the spur was probably already no longer in use. It was removed during the standard-gauging of the tracks in 1908-1909.
Official Railroad Information:
Hayes Spur was located 71.1 miles from San Francisco via the Mayfield Cut-Off and 8.1 miles from Santa Cruz. It had a 215-foot-long spur. Agency books listed it as a class-A station, implying there was a siding at the site. A freight platform was also listed on the left (east) side of the track.
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
37˚ N 3' 56.637", 122˚W 3' 21.416"
The site of Hayes Spur is on the property of Roaring Camp Railroads, although Roaring Camp does not actively patrol this stretch of right-of-way and locals are seen using it frequently for recreational activities.
Citations & Credits:
- Whaley, Derek. Santa Cruz Trains: Railroads of the Santa Cruz Mountains: 111-114.