It was named for Albert W.J. Gibbs and his family which owned the Gibbs Ranch Resort along the line. The family had owned the property since at least 1878 when the railroad sought a right-of-way through the area. The family complied at the expense of installing a flag-stop there.
After much research and assistance, it has been determined that Gibbs Ranch Resort was not actually in Zayante Creek but was accessible in the nearby Bean Creek region on Weston Road via at least one stage coach road that was known as Alameda Boulevard (undoubtedly named after the railroad's port at Alameda). Rob Lange discovered a bit of a story about the site from one of the property's owners:
“In 1906 many vacationers took the railroad from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. Many got off the train at Gibbs Station, which was a stop below our properties. Stage coaches would pick up the people and bring them to Gibbs Station Resort. This was an active resort with cabins and a dance hall. People left the cold in San Francisco to keep warm at the Gibbs Resort”Sure enough, records show that at its height, Gibbs Ranch Resort operated a general merchandise store and a post office. Mike Swift, the owner of the property, notes that his home was originally the kitchen for the resort and also probably served as an extremely small general store as he states that no other building was on the property during its existence as Gibbs Ranch Resort. Tent cabins were the primary residence for tourists, and if any of them were fully enclosed, they were later torn down because no remnant of them exists today. The post office was likely beside the tracks and was founded on November 28, 1900 and Albert Gibbs was declared the post master. The branch office shut its doors after the route was temporarily closed following the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906, but then reopened as traffic resumed the next year.
The Gibbs family finally lost control of their post office in 1916 when it was transferred to Zayante, less than a mile north along the route. The last mention of Gibbs as a stop is in 1935, though it had probably fallen into disuse before that time. Google Maps shows a large property spanning the entire section between Zayante Station toward Meehan. This is likely still the Gibbs Ranch estate as the station was located directly in the center of it. Nonetheless, the area today is dense forest with no roads passing through it. The right-of-way peacefully passed through the property in the form of a Santa Cruz County Water District fire road. The original stagecoach road remains as a poorly maintained and overgrown landslide escape route for the Weston Road community. It lets out near the site of Zayante Flag-Stop at the top of a diversionary road where the tracks were washed out long ago. The original stage trail probably crossed the tracks and paralleled them heading south before finally reaching the official stop at East Hill Road off of East Zayante Road.
After investigation, there is a clearing on the hillside of the tracks at the top of a private road off of East Creek Road on East Zayante Road. A stagecoach trail seems to switchback to the right-of-way from the creek at this place, and the original creek crossing may have been on East Hill Road which is noted on surveyor maps (and Google Maps) though no longer extant. There are no known extant images of Gibbs as a flag-stop. The ranch itself has long since disappeared, but Mike Swift currently owns the majority of the property in the Weston Road area. His friend installed a "Gibbs Station" sign over the driveway a number of years ago to mark the historic site, and Alameda Boulevard still exists as a storage area for the property. It can be seen wrapping around a corner, returning to Weston, and then once again diverting at Marinera Lane where the old stage road originally crossed to Zayante Creek.