Union Mill closed at some point in the early 1900s. It remained in agency books and timetables until 1910, suggesting that the spur was removed with the standard-guaging of the line. It probably had been out of use for many years by this point. Little else is known about the Union Mill & Lumber Company or its operations in Santa Cruz County. No known photographs exist of the facility or the station.
Official Railroad Information:
The Union Mill Spur was located 70.4 miles from San Francisco via the Mayfield Cut-Off and 8.8 miles from Santa Cruz. It supported a 2,110-foot-long narrow-gauged spur which was extended by the Union Mill Company over Zayante Creek and into its facilities. It was considered a freight and passenger stop and was listed on timetables beginning in 1888. Agency books recorded it as a class-B station, implying the presence of a siding there, but there was never a freight platform, station structure, or any agency office at the stop. Union Mill Spur was active from 1884 until the standard-guaging of the tracks in 1909.
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
37˚N 4' 33.761", 122˚W 3' 3.996"
The site of Union Mill Spur's switch marks the absolute northernmost extent of the Roaring Camp Railroads property. Thus, the station site is legally owned by them and while trespassing is not encouraged, Roaring Camp does not patrol this area nor uses it. The right-of-way of the spur itself passes through county property, merging with Zayante School Road briefly before crossing over East Zayante Road and paralleling it beside Zayante Creek until terminating near the confluence of the two creeks. Camp May-Mac is the former site of the mill, while all of the Lompico Creek basin was the mill's timber tract.
Citations & Credits: