|Location of Eccles Tunnel (Courtesy Duncan Nanney)|
The tunnel measures a meager 240 feet, making it the shortest tunnel along the route. It is entirely concrete-lined, probably due to its length, and it measures 22 feet high and 17 feet wide. The tunnel continued in service as a railroad tunnel until the winter of 1939-1940 closed the Mountain Route permanently.
|The Atomic Vault facility on 1 February 1957|
|The backside of the Eccles Tunnel has seen better days,|
but appears much more like a tunnel portal.
Today, the tunnel can still be seen if walking along the old right-of-way north of Olympia or if one drives up Madrone Road past the Zayante Market. The entire area is surrounded by chain-linked fence but the overseer doesn't mind if people climb over the vault to get to the back end of the tunnel. The back end is also fenced off but appears much more like a railroad tunnel. The date, "1907," is still stamped over the high arch above the northern portal. The right-of-way then continues northward toward Meehan.
No known photographs of this tunnel during its existence as a railroad tunnel exist.
- De Leuw, Cather & Company, "Santa Cruz-Los Gatos Rail Corridor Feasibility Study: Final Draft Report," prepared for the Joint Policy Board (December 1994).