|Location of Brackney station and region (Courtesy Duncan Nanney)|
The area was named after Alonzo L. Brackney, a Pennsylvanian farmer who settled in the region at some point prior to 1889. He had built a small ranch on the river's jetty and transcripts available in the UC Santa Cruz Digital Collection note that Brackney purchased the entire jetty on May 18, 1889, from Frederick A. Hihn. This purchase was later confirmed on January 1, 1898, in official court records. The location of this ranch provided a crucial link between the Zayante Rancho (Felton) and the land being developed in Glen Arbor. Brackney's land was to encompass the entirety of the river jetty all the way to the Southern Pacific Railroad's right-of-way which ran along an embankment on the eastern hillside. During this period, the small flag-stop was probably constructed to cater to Brackney's family and workers. Curiously, the location of Brackney was named "San Lorenzo" during this period, suggesting the hopeful establishment of a township in the area that never came to be.
|The sharp turn at Brackney before heading around the bend toward Glen Arbor. A guard rail was apparently needed for trains that were not calling at Brackney. (Courtesy The Valley Press)|
A small shelter was established there similar in design to others along the route, namely those at Filbert and Newell Junction. As can be seen in the image above, the curve at Brackney was significant and required a guard rail for trains not calling at the flag-stop. The area was also much more barren than it is today, with a large field to the right of the tracks where today that area is completely overgrown. Telephone wires also followed the tracks on the river side, as can be seen above, and a cattle grate can also be seen on either side of the tracks, suggesting there were some domesticated animals in the area.
|The junction where once stood Brackney flag-stop. The right-of-way continues to the left down the service road. The shelter once was just beyond the gate on the left. The right-of-way continues directly behind the photographer.|