|McAbee Mill on Two Bar Creek north of Boulder Creek. (Courtesy UC Santa Cruz Special Collections)|
Notices in the Evening Sentinel newspaper note that at least one of the McAbee mills was still in operation as late as May 1906, when parts ordered in response to earthquake damage were received. Considering their other mill was near Big Basin, which was now a state park, it is likely that the mill mentioned here was the Two-Bar Mill. If so, then this mill continued operations along the Dougherty Extension for many years after the Doughertys themselves had ceased operations. Traffic still went down the line, though, as the California Timber Company was using the railroad until 1913 to haul down lumber from Pescadero Creek Canyon at Waterman Gap. However, mention of the McAbee Mill fades after 1906 and it likely closed shop before the Extension line itself closed in 1913.
The current status or precise location of the McAbee Mill site is currently unknown to this author.
- Rick Hamman, California Central Coast Railways (Santa Cruz, CA: Otter B Books, 2002).
- Nancy F. McCarthy, Where Grizzlies Roamed the Canyons (Palo Alto, CA: Garden Court Press, 1994).