|Spur site. The spur would have turned to the left into the Cunningham|
property, now occupied by ProBuild. (Google StreetView)
|Cunningham & Co. Planing Mill & Lumber Yard, 1892. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map. (UCSC Map Collections)|
The mill property was divided between a large planing and lumber mill, and various storage areas. Lumber piles surrounded the facility on all sides. A short tramway to transfer logs and lumber between locations was built behind the mill while the main spur line to the tracks was on the north side of the mill. From this narrow-gauged railroad spur, waiting lumber and manufactured redwood goods would be loaded onto freight cars for shipment over the mountain or to the Railroad Wharf. After the mill passed out of the hands of the Cunninghams, the primary mill and storage structures remained. Indeed, comparisons between the Sanborn fire insurance maps of the 1890s and the current structure today suggest that parts of the current building may date from the original Cunningham mill structure. If the current building is newer, it was almost certainly built upon the same foundation as its predecessor.
|Geographically accurate Sanborn Fire Insurance map showing the Cascade Steam Laundry facility on the site of the Cunningham & Co. Planing Mill, 1905. (UCSC Map Collections)|
|A likely inaccurate Sanborn Fire Insurance Map showing the City Corporation Yard at the old Cunningham & Co. Planing Mill site, 1917. The spur line likely no longer existed when this survey was completed. (UCSC Map Collections)|