|A train approaching the Los Gatos Freight Yard from San Francisco, 1918. The crossing is Elm Street and the photographer is standing on the roof of the Opera House at Main and University. (A Centennial, Bruce McGregor)|
|1895 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map showing the Los Gatos freight yard. (UC Santa Cruz Digital Map Collection)|
|1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map showing the Los Gatos freight yard. (UC Santa Cruz Digital Map Collection)|
The freight yard ceased operations around 1940 when freight and passenger service ceased along the line. The engine house and turn table may have remained for a time to turn around southbound engines, but the arrangement of the facility was not designed for that direction and it is more likely that engines were turned at the wye at Vasona Junction. The Fruit Packing spur was removed in 1907. It is unclear when the two sidings and the lumber spur were removed.
This facility is still remembered today as Station Way, an access road running parallel to Santa Cruz Avenue between Main Street and Elm Street. Where the hump is along that road is the precise location of the water tower and engine house. When the road curves back toward Elm Street to become Boone Lane, that is the site of the turntable. The right-of-way then continued along the path of Boone Lane.