|Wildwood Trestle looking south down the right-of-way, c. 1916. (Rick Hamman)|
|Dougherty Mill #2 at Riverside Grove, with two trestles barely visible in the photograph. The San Lorenzo River Trestle is at left beside the ox bridge while a second trestle is visible at right heading over a small creek. (Rick Hamman)|
|Remnant trestle at Riverside Grove as of 1980. (Rick Hamman)|
Around 1980, Rick Hamman took a photograph of one of these trestles, likely the most northernly of the three, while he was preparing his book California Central Coast Railroads. The photograph shows that this trestle was a basic log-build trestle with rows of three large trunks acting as piers supporting two smaller and longer trunks that supported the ties and narrow-gauged rails. In 1980, the entire southern end of the trestle was still intact sans the ties and rail. As with the rest of the line, the rail was sold for scrap in the months leading up to World War I in 1917. The ties likely fell off over the subsequent years. While the continued existence of this trestle has not been confirmed, a rumor states that it was washed out in the floods of 1982. The three trestles were located across from the end of Either Way, directly beside the Either Way auto bridge, and near the end of Bean Avenue, all three roads being of of Teilh Drive north of Boulder Creek.
The fifth crossing over the river was at modern-day Fern Drive, just where the road now crosses the river. Though it's original purpose has been lost, the area around Fern and Hillside Drives developed in the years after the railroad left. The clearing may have originally been a logging collection area much like McGaffigan's Mill, especially since the Chase Mill was located further up the hillside from this area. If any remnant of of the trestle here survives, it has not been brought to the attention of this author.
The sixth and final crossing caused by the San Lorenzo River was immediately across from the entrance to the Saratoga Toll Road within Castle Rock State Park. This trestle served to bring the trains to Waterman Switch and probably dates to a slightly later time, perhaps as late as 1897 when the logging camp moved to the headwaters of the river. Unlike the other trestles, this one did not cross the river itself but was forced to cross a lowland created by a pond adjacent to the river. Unfortunately, all evidence of this trestle was destroyed when CA State Route 9 was built, crossing the river at nearly this very spot. While the right-of-way is visible on both sides of the highway, the crossing did not survive. In any case, it was likely a very small trestle.
The Dougherty Extension Railroad continued up into the valley for another 1 1/2 miles before finally ending near the headwaters in Castle Rock State Park. In its path sat the ever-winding San Lorenzo River, which at this place was little more than a stream during most of the year. Just north of Waterman Switch, the railroad crossed the river at least once, and perhaps three times. It crossed two more times roughly 3/4 mile north of the Switch, and then crossed it at least once more before ending near modern-day Beekhius Road at the junction of the two feeder creeks that join to form the river. The scant evidence of these crossings are only visible by their absence when the right-of-way suddenly ends where the river crosses. In parts, even the right-of-way is difficult to discern from the toll road, other service roads, and the overgrowth of the all-consuming second growth redwood forest.
- Rick Hamman, California Central Coast Railroads (Santa Cruz, CA: Otter B Books, 2002).