|Artistic impression of Camp Capitola in the 1880s. (http://capitolabythesea.com/history)|
|Postcard of Soquel Creek with the trestle overhead, c. 1900s.|
|The first Captiola Depot at its second location, confirmed by the presence|
of a siding alongside the mainline tracks. (Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History)
|Swimmers and vacationers posing on the beach with the Hotel Capitola in the background. (Santa Cruz MAH)|
|The current Soquel Creek trestle overlooking Capitola-by-the-Sea. (Santa Cruz MAH)|
The county take-over of Capitola-By-The-Sea, generally known simply as Capitola by the 1930s, began as early as the end of the 1920s when Rispin faced financial and political difficulties. The Great Depression and numerous fires that destroyed large parts of the community forced the county to intercede and take control of the bulk of the village. Regular railroad passenger traffic ended in 1938 due to poor sales, though excursion trains sometimes stopped in the summer. All remaining passenger trains ended in 1941 and when the Suntan Specials resumed in 1947. For three years, the trains stopped at Capitola village on its way to the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, but in 1950 service was abandoned to Capitola. The station was formally abandoned in January 1956 and the structure was given to the last station agency for $1. The era of railroad traffic to the town was done.
|The Inn at Depot Hill, heavily upgraded and modified since its last use as a railroad station sixty-five years ago.|
- Carolyn Swift, Capitola Historical Context Statement (Capitola, CA: City of Capitola Community Development Department, 2004).