Derek Whaley was born and raised in Felton, California. He attended Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, California, where he graduated with a BA in History. He later traveled to the United Kingdom where he earned an MA in Early Modern European History at the University of Wales, Swansea (now Swansea University). He is currently a PhD candidate at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand, where he is researching the dynastic intrigues of Late Medieval French royalty. As a part of this thesis, he also hosts MedievalTexts.com, a crowd-sourced medieval textual translation website.
Derek served for three seasons as historical interpreter at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and volunteered at the San Lorenzo Valley Museum for four years and on the publications committee of the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History for two years. He is an avid board gamer and loves LEGO trains. He also writes franchise film reviews in his free time at The Barbarian Report.
- Santa Cruz Trains: Railroads of the Santa Cruz Coast. [Forthcoming]
- Santa Cruz Trains: Reflections on the Mountain Route. Santa Cruz: CreateSpace, 2016.
- "The End of the Line: The Abandonment of Passenger Services in Santa Cruz County, California," Railroad History 215 (2016).
- Book Review: Zita Rohr, "Yolande of Aragon (1381-1442) Family and Power: The Reverse of the Tapestry," Royal Studies Journal 3:2 (2016).
- Book Review: Jeremy Black, "British Politics and Foreign Policy, 1744-57: Mid-Century Crisis," Parergon 33:1 (2016).
- Santa Cruz Trains: Railroads of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Santa Cruz: CreateSpace, 2015.
- "The Battle of the Giants: The Proposal to Rename the San Lorenzo Valley," Redwood Logging and Conservation in the Santa Cruz Mountains—A Split History. Santa Cruz History 7 (2014), 170-175.
- "Two States, One King: Six English Kings and their Continental Domains". Unpublished masters thesis, 2009.
- "Charting Our Destiny—US Coast Survey in the Pacific 1807-2007," Mains'l Haul—A Journey of Pacific Maritime History, 2006.
Derek R. Whaley
320 San Lorenzo Ave.
Felton, CA 95018
(831) 406-1714 [Google Voice]