|Hotel Del Monte Bath House, c. 1910. [Bancroft Library]|
A bit more is known about the bath house itself. The bath house was the last item built following the 1887 fire that destroyed the original Hotel Del Monte, probably opened in 1889. It sat across the railroad tracks and beside Del Monte Avenue on 24 acres of beachfront property, with a pier and saltwater pump situated in the Monterey Bay. It was designed very similarly to the Miller-Leibbrandt Plunge in Santa Cruz which was constructed soon afterwards, incorporating a mix of interior baths, a large heated saltwater pool, changing stalls, and a small restaurant. Ocean swimming facilities were also included, as well as access to the pier. The pool was knocked out of commission during the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and it was closed until the summer of 1907 when a massive renovation and expansion repaired and improved the facility.
|Advertising page from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, c. 1910.|
A curious side-note: a large otherwise unimportant warehouse just to the northeast of Casa Verde Way has all the appearance of a railroad freight station and the arrangement of its parking lot and proximity to the tracks suggests that it once was serviced by the railroad. Further research is required to determine what precisely that structure was used for and when it operated.
|Illustration showing the bathhouse to the northwest of Hotel Del Monte, with a train approaching from the east, c. 1890.|
The station is recorded for the first time as a flag-stop on public timetables in 1890, but did not appear on 1891 public timetables. It also did not appear in the 1899 agency book or in any later books. No other information is known from railroad documents at this time.
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
The site of Del Monte Bath House Station is at the end of La Playa Street off of Park Avenue on the north side from Del Monte Avenue. The entire small residential subdivision of Del Monte Beach Townhouses marks the site of the original bath house. Access to the property and parking on site is restricted to local residents only, but accessing the beach is free. Absolutely nothing remains of the bath house or any station that catered to it.
Citations & Credits:
- "Monterey Should Buy the Del Monte Water-Front Now", Peninsula Daily Herald, 06/11/1926.