|An advertisement for the 2nd Hotel Del Monte, c. 1890. (Brancroft Library)|
|Del Monte Station, April 1940. (Wilbur C. Whittaker)|
|A Del Monte excursion train parked beside the depot in 1949. (Wilbur C. Whittaker)|
Official Railroad Information:
|The second Hotel Del Monte, c. 1920. (Bancroft Library)|
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
|The third Hotel Del Monte, as seen today as|
Hermann Hall at the Naval Postgraduate Academy.
The site of Del Monte Station is a parking lot located across Del Monte Avenue from the eastern end of Cunningham Road along the Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail. Interestingly, the footprint of the station shelter remains behind with the original floor still present. There does not appear to be any plaque describing what the foundation was for, however. The siding tracks are also still present, directly across from the station foundation and paralleling the paved trail (which is built atop the mainline track). They continue for a short distance to the east before disappearing under the trail and a longer distance to the west. Access to the hotel itself is available through the Naval Postgraduate Institute and may be restricted. Many of the former hotel structures are used today for military purposes. Check www.nps.edu if you are interested in touring Hermann Hall or any other former hotel facilities.
Citations & Credits: