|A group of camp girls at Asilomar, June 1916. Photo by Heidrick Photo Studio. (State Parks)|
|The inside of the Phoebe Apperson Hearst Social Hall, c. 1920. (State Parks)|
|Asilomar Station shelter with luggage trolly, c. 1920.|
|Phoebe Apperson Hearst Social Hall, built in 1913. (State Parks)|
|Asilomar Station in 1974 with a pair of sand hoppers parked on the tracks in the distant background.|
|Asilomar Station on the conference|
Asilomar Station was located 129.9 miles from San Francisco via Castroville, Watsonville Junction, Gilroy, and San José. It was also 0.1 miles from the Lake Majella end-of-track. It was established around 1913 and was operated seasonally. Freight service to the station was in place by 1926 and catered primarily to the Lake Majella/Moss Beach sand quarry. To support this industry, a siding of 1,325 feet was erected, with a shorter 3-car (~175 foot) spur built across from the passenger shelter. Originally, a passenger agency office and telephone were at the shelter. The office closed when passenger service ended around 1940 and the shelter was relocated to within the conference grounds. The station itself remained on timetables, sometimes as a full stop, often as an Additional Station, until 1978 when the line was truncated to Seaside.
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
The site of Asilomar Station is roughly where the bike trail crosses over Sinex Avenue, just outside the main entrance to Asilomar Conference Grounds. The shelter structure has been rebuilt and sits near the site of the original structure with a sign atop its roof.
Citations & Credits: