|Guide to Monterey and Vicinity, c. 1890.|
|A passenger train along the coast near Cypress Park, 1947. (Wilbur C. Whittaker)|
Cypress Park first appeared on public timetables in late 1889 as a regular passenger stop with service offered on all local passenger trains. Whether it appeared in employee timetables or agency books at this time is not known to this historian. The station was listed in 1891 but no passenger services were listed. The stop disappeared from all company records before 1899.
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
The site of Cypress Park is located along the Monterey Bay Coastal Trail at the end of Monterey Avenue. Berwick Park, which sites beside the former right-of-way today, was previously Cypress Park, and the trees standing along the trail gave it that name in the late 1880s. No remnant of the actual station facilities survive, although none probably existed in the first place. The coastal trail and the park is open to the public.
Citations & Credits:
- Southern Pacific Railroad documents.