|1917 Automobile Blue Book showing the Monterey area, with Forest|
Avenue visible at left acting as the trunk of 17 Mile Drive.
The Pacific Grove Retreat Association, which founded Pacific Grove in 1875, used the beach for many of its functions. The Methodist association already drew people from all over the state, and the extension railroad made it much easier for them to access the area. Placing a passenger flag-stop at Forest Avenue directly adjacent to the beach was a natural decision. The Del Monte Hotel accessed the area, too, since Forest Avenue formed a part of the loop that created 17 Mile Drive.
|A freight train passing beside Forest Avenue (not visible at right) toward Monterey, 1937. (Wilbur C. Whittaker)|
|Lovers' Point Beach and surroundings, c. 1902. (Photo by Clara Sheldon Smith – Viki Sonstegard)|
|Excerpt from a panoramic image of Pacific Grove, 1906. The railroad is|
at right, with the bath house behind the beach slightly.
(Photo by George Lawrence – Caption by Peter Nurske)
Geo-Coordinates & Access Rights:
|High waves hitting the Lovers' Point bath house, c. 1900. (93950.com)|
The site of Forest Avenue station is at the end of Forest Avenue in Pacific Grove, along the Monterey Bay Coastal Trail. A parking lot on the south side of the tracks likely marks the station site since a cliff is immediately opposite the lot. It is unlikely that any station structure or platform was present at the site considering how short-lived it was, and certainly nothing survives today if there was anything.
Citations & Credits:
- Nurske, Peter. "George Lawrence's 1906 Panoramas of Pacific Grove, California". 2011.
- Southern Pacific Public Timetables: Monterey Branch, 1889; Pacific Grove Extension, 1890-1891.